The term living room is found initially in the decorating literature of 1890s, where a living room is understood to be a reflection of the personality of designer. But now a day the concept for living room has been changed as well as it is getting popular as a need of modern housing.
Living room is used for relaxing, watching television, and reading books. After bedroom, living room is the area where family members spend most of their time. No doubt, if the living room makes with the interior guidelines it will look beautiful, eye and soul soothing. But we can’t ignore the fact that beauty of interior can’t make the occupants happy. For real happiness they need to make their living room vaastu friendly as well. You can say if interior is a beautiful body then vaastu is the soul. A real smart person will always take care of both.
But we must not forget that even a well decorated and most beautiful living room can be the source of our grief, if it is not constructed as per Vaastu. It is always advisable to consult with a professional vaastu consultant before construction, decoration or redecoration of your living room. Not to mention that only a vaastu friendly living room can ensure happiness. From Vaastu point of view it is as important as Drawing room, bed room and other major parts in the house.
Renowned Vaastu expert Naresh Singal explains how one can make an ideal living room. Here are the guidelines-
- In vaastu, east and north direction are given great importance. The sun rays, being a rich source of vitamin D are vital for the sustenance of life on earth; and the rays early in the morning from the east emitting more light and less heat are the best. Doors and windows in the east would allow the ultra violet rays to penetrate into the house, bestowing their benefits to the inmates of the house. Due to these scientific principles Vaastu recommends north and east directions for living room. Another two best direction for living room are north-west and north-east.
- Generally a living room is constructed before the entrance. It is ideal for north, north-east and east facing houses, but if the house is south-west, south or west facing house, avoid making the living room in front part of the house. In such cases it will be better to consult a professional vaastu consultant.
- As per vaastu there should be sufficient space to move freely and there should be space behind the furniture’s for the air to move. This ensures the movement of positive energy in the living room.
- The Sofa sets should be placed in north-west while day-bed should be placed in south-west. Book-self can also be placed in south-west. Television or LCD should be placed in south-east.
- A comfortable living room should have the sitting arrangements for at least 8-10 people. While sited the chief of the house should have faced towards north or east while guest should have their faces toward south or west. Specially, if you are going to discuss any important issue, related with finance or family prestige, your face should be towards east or north. If you follow the instruction, the result will be in your favour.
- If the living room is in north-east, make its flooring lower than other part of the house. It will bring harmony in the family.
- If you want to place water source such as Water fountain/Aquarium, they should be in the North.
- As per vaastu fire and air are friendly in nature. If you want to make a fireplace there, it should be in the South-East or North-West.
- As per vaastu there should be large windows on north or east wall for the maximum sunlight to come in.
- Use light colour for walls. The colour of the wall should be different from the colour of roof.
- There should be no paintings or objects depicting war, death or anger in the living room.
- Ganpati Natraj and Shiva are our deities; do not place them as a show piece.
Download the article in Pdf