In vaastu, east and north direction are given great importance. The sun rays, being a rich source of vitamin D are vital for the sustenance of life on earth; and the rays early in the morning from the east emitting more light and less heat are the best. Doors and windows in the east would allow the ultra violet rays to penetrate into the house, bestowing their benefits to the inmates of the house. In the afternoon on the other hand the sun would be coursing to the west emitting infrared rays which are detrimental to the health and hence less number of windows and thick walls in the rooms in west and South-west.
Due to these scientific principles Vaastu recommends the most important areas, entrance and drawing room, in North and East directions. These two areas of house show our taste, lifestyle, status and thus put an impression on others. Drawing room is the place where you welcome your guests, friends and relatives. People spend lavishly to make their drawing room such a place which can put an everlasting impression on guests. They seek help of an interior decorator for this purpose.
No doubt, an interior decorator can make your drawing room comfortable and attractive one, but he can’t make it a lucky one. To invite good luck in your drawing room you need to consult a professional vastu expert. Don’t forget family members also use to sit in drawing room for taking some important decisions. It is essential that you face the correct direction in order to achieve the positive benefits and you remain in command and your guests are facing the opposite side and hence cannot over-rule and dominate you.
Here are some vastu and feng-shui tips for drawing room:-
- Drawing room should be in the north or east side of the home. Avoid the north-east and south-west part for having a drawing room.
- The slope of the flooring should be towards north or east.
- The head of the family and other senior family members should sit facing north or east during discussions. The guests and visitors should face west or south.
- Paint the walls in pastel shades of blues, greens, yellow, white etc. Do not paint the walls in dark shades.
- As per vaastu there should be sufficient space to move freely and there should be space behind the furniture’s for the air to move. This ensures the movement of positive energy in the drawing room.
- The Sofa sets should be placed in north-west while day-bed should be placed in south-west. Show-case and almirah can also be placed in south-west. Television or LCD should be placed in south-east. It is advisable to avoid an ‘L’ shape sofa.
- A comfortable drawing room should have the sitting arrangements for at least 8-10 people.
- All moving water source such as Water fountain/Aquarium should be in the North.
- As per vaastu fire and air are friendly in nature. Do if there are any fireplaces they should be in the south-east or north-west of the living room.
- As per vaastu there should be large windows on north or east wall for the maximum sunlight to come in.
- There should be no paintings or objects depicting war, death or anger in the living room.
- Best furniture has round edges.
- A small TV is much better than a big one that dominates the room. Always place the sofa in such a manner that the TV would not be the eye-catcher of the room.
- Put the speakers as far as possible from sitting-places, to avoid electromagnetic fields.
- Dark corners should be lightened up with lights that are directed upwards.
Download the article in Pdf